Friends, Saturday I was ordained a priest with the American Catholic Church, orders recognized by the Episcopal Church, and just so you know:
- I only wear the clerical collar if it will get someone out of jail or keep someone from being put in jail – or in some other equally dire circumstance. Otherwise, I’ll continue to dress inappropriately casual.
- No need to address me as “Father” or “Mother” or “Rev” …. “Roberta” still does just fine.
- My religious community pioneered same-sex unions, the bishop who ordained marched in the Stonewall Uprising, and we actively promote marriage equality, LGBTQ rights, and human rights for all.
- This particular branch of the church insists that its clergy maintain what’s called “secular employment” which means I will continue my writing career just as before.
- My particular ministry remains interfaith, to the arts community, and, of course, I don’t use my writing for proselytizing. We don’t do that in any case – respecting everyone’s own path and choice to not talk about it. Check out our website: www.artwalkinc.org
- I don’t use my writing for proselytizing. We don’t do that in any case – respecting everyone’s own path, including my fictional characters’ choices that on good days seem quite independent of my own.
So then Monday morning I’m back on my laptop working on my new novel, Hollywood Fables.